Our History

Back to homepage

Phase One

Stoke Bowling Club was formed in 1924 as a Flat and Crown Green Bowling Club and played their Home matches at Gosford Park at the corner of Binley Road and Humber Road (located on left hand side of Binley Road, towards the City Centre, just before the Phoenix Way Traffic Island). At that time there were several Bowling Clubs that shared the same Bowling Green including Gosford Park BC and Printing Trades BC. Stoke Bowling Club held their first Annual Dinner at the New Inn, Bulls Head Lane, Coventry on 26th February 1926. At this function Members Joe Harper and Fred Hoskins were presented with the First and Second Prizes respectively in the July Club Handicap Competition.


Phase Two

In 1932 The Stoke Bowling Club Flat Green Section broke away from the Crown Green Section and retaining the name of Stoke Bowling Club moved into its Next Home, which was based within the grounds of Coventry & North Warwickshire Cricket Club in Binley Road, Coventry and leased the green from them on 5th October 1932. The Green was Officially Opened on 11th June 1933 when a Game was they played against a Warwickshire County Bowling Association Team. The match ended with the County Team victorious by 142 shots to 109.


Phase Three

In 1938 Stoke Bowling Club completed its journey to its present Home in Occupation Road in Stoke Coventry. A plot of land of about 8000 square yards in area for Club and Greens was purchased from the Newcombe Estate Co Ltd for the Sum of £400 on 14th April 1938. A Clubhouse was built and the First Green was opened, with the Clubhouse being Officially Opened on the 20th May 1939 by Greville Poke esq. It was originally planned for the Club to have Two Greens from the start but when the Second World War broke out in 1939 the ideas for the land set aside for the Second Green were put to one side. In April 1942 3330 square yards of land belonging to Stoke Bowling Club was Requisitioned by the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries in April 1942 and turned into Allotments as land for growing vegetables etc were required to help with the War Effort. The land was returned to the possession of Stoke Bowling Club on 31st December 1949. In 1953 work was carried out the Second Green was finally opened.